Wise tobacco enthusiasts know how important it is to have a humidor in which to store their favorite indulgences. It’s probably the only way, in fact, that one could possibly keep cigars in a good enough condition to be enjoyable with a functioning sense of taste and smell.
However, the humidor is only as good as the maintenance performed on it, and the tobacco storage environment is only as well-kept as the flask within the humid environment inside the humidor. Also, you should check out my list of the 5 Best Burl Wood Humidors.
To maintain the integrity of the cigars, as well as the delicate temperature and humidity balance inside the humidor, a cigar smoker must be prepared to combat the risk of dryness and mold with a good cigar humidifier.
Simply put, cigar humidifiers absorb moisture from the air to maintain humidity in the humidor. If you cannot figure out how to choose a humidifier, then read on, because I’ll guide you through the process.
|Boveda for Cigars/Tobacco||Best Overall|
|Cigar Humidifier||Budget Pick|
|Cigar Oasis Plus 3.0 Electronic Humidifier||Upgrade Pick|
1. Boveda for Cigars/Tobacco
- Boveda provides a steady 72% RH without refilling hassle or hassle of adding distilled water
- Hygrometers can be inaccurate so use Boveda in conjunction with your electronic gauge
- Boveda requires zero maintenance so you spend less time in your humidor and more time enjoying cigars
- Boveda lasts month after month so you spend less of your hard earned money without sacrificing cigar freshness
- Long term storage might require a different RH solution
- Superior RH will need to be maintained in humidors that are large or poor quality
- Foil wrap can be tricky to open without tearing
2. Joe Cool Cigar Crystal Gel Humidifier
- A large pack
- You get 4 different jars of humi-care gel
- Affordable price
- Can take up a lot of space
- One user found that the gel dried out quickly
An interesting feature of these humidifier is that they can be used to regulate humidity at cellar humidity levels and above. You can use these gel humidifier to maintain the moistness of your cigars without the fear of mold and bacteria being present. You only need to open the jar at least once per week to remind yourself of the fact that you have these in your humidor.
If you happen to notice that the humidity is dropping lower than you would want, you can simply add more of the gel into the humidifier. You could even put some of this gel on a tray and then place it in a cool, dark part of your house in order to get the humidity that you want. There are four jars of this gel in each pack, and you are able to use one jar at a time until you have used all of them. This could mean that you could get months worth of use out of each jar. If you want to determine the best way that you want to use these gel humidifiers, you can of course test them in the jar they come in. You are able to put this gel in any dry atmosphere you want.
3. HumidiCup Electronic Cigar Humidifier
- * Simple
- easy-to-use design * Quick setup * Very affordable * The light indicator and digital control panel have received positive reviews * Available in two capacities – 1000 cc and 800 cc * Durable and reliable * Easy to Use * Runs quietly
- * The customer service is not so great * The rubber grommets attached to the unit may have been installed in a haphazard manner
The HumidiCup is made in the USA and is designed to help you keep your cigars humidified to the perfect level, regardless of whether you smoke one at a time or frequently. Open, close, smoke your cigar, inhale and exhale, repeat. It’s the process of smoking cigars, time after time, without the annoyance of having to baby sit your cigars for weeks at a time in the humidor. This is one great cigar accessory.
The HumidCup utilizes a unique and simple design to protect your cigar humidor keeping your cigars fresh and your humidor crystal-fresh.
4. Cigar Oasis Plus 3.0 Electronic Humidifier
- Best for average to larger cigar humidors
- LifeSmart Intelligent Technology
- End-table version
- 100% parts and labor warranty
- LifeTime warranty against humidity damage
Large humidor fans will be thrilled with the large capacity offered by the Cigar Oasis of Plus 3.0 Electronic Humidifier. When we say large we mean it, with a holding capacity of 4-10 cubic feet.
The Oasis Plus has the same four-step process to humidification that the standard Oasis electronic humidifier uses. But this unit has the added bonus of LifeSmart Intelligent Technology. This means the unit will automatically select the right setting for the type of cigar humidor that is is being used. It also has the capability of detecting different cigar hole sizes, and it can be used with humidors that are up to 1200 cubic feet in size.
For cigar humidors of up to 100 cigars the Oasis Plus humidifier will evenly provide you with 2x humidity levels. For humidors with anything from 100 to 600 cigars it will evenly spread out humidity with 2.2x levels. And for anything from 600 to 1200 cigars, it will evenly add 2.6x levels.
5. Cigar Oasis Ultra 3.0 Electronic Humidifier
- The LED lights are vibrant and can be adjusted
- Can be controlled remotely via a smartphone
- The top-mounted digital display makes it easy to read
- Each device controls humidity for up to 2,400 cubic feet of space
- Includes a remote control
- Automatically monitors the ambient temperature
Cigar Oasis is one of the more popular brands of humidifier on the market. The original device was only suitable for small humidors, but now the company has expanded its range to include humidifiers for larger humidors.
This humidifier has a sleek and elegant design that is sure to fit seamlessly with the rest of your humidor. Although it comes with a remote control, there is no need to raise your hand to make adjustments if you have an Android or iPhone. Just download the free Cigar Oasis app to your smartphone and you can make changes remotely. The LED digital read-out is super easy to see, plus the humidifier comes with a backlight for better visibility in low-light conditions.
The humidifier moistens up to 3000 cubic feet of space, so it is better for larger humidors than the mini version. There is also a programmable function, which allows you to decide when the humidifier should start/stop based on your preferred settings.
6. Cigar Oasis Ultra 3.0 Electronic Humidifier
Highly accurate digital hygrometer – Newly added temperature monitor – 99.9% germ free – Automatic LCD shut off – Auto evaporation control – Control knob with 6 settings – Front of box and case mount options with adjustable mounting arm
Easily and accurately monitors the humidity and temperature of your humidor for the optimal environment needed for your cigars – 6 humidity settings – 6 temperature settings – Lid mount option – Front of box mount – Case mount option – Adjustable mounting arm – Precise digital hygrometer – 99.9% germ free – Same day international shipping
This product will not ship to an address within the United States.
7. Cigar Humidifier
- These humidifiers are ideal for controlling the moisture level in any cigar humidor
- These round-shaped humidifiers can be placed on the inside lid of the cigar humidor
- This cigar humidifier has a solid and charming golden look
- The material of this cigar humidifier is made of top-quality PVC
- This cigar humidifier is made of a high-quality material that can be easily cleaned
- This cigar humidifier is ideal because it has a beautiful design and it can add a nice touch to a cigar humidor.
- It can be a bit difficult to clean this humidifier and to keep it clean
- Many customers have complained about the lid which doesn’t really seal all that well and can let humid air escape from the cigar humidor.
This tobacco humidifier is shaped like a circle and it is ideal for putting inside the cigar humidor. It comes with a golden touch, which can add a nice touch to the cigar humidor and it can make it look elegant. It comes with a solid and charming golden look with which it can add to the appearance of the cigar humidor. There is not much of a difference between the design of this cigar humidifier and any other round-shaped humidifiers.
8. Hydra Personal Series Electronic Cigar Humidifier
- Automatic functioning
- You won’t have to worry about manually refilling the humidifier
- Large LED display
- Batteries fuel the humidifier
- Made with premium quality materials
- Features an airtight seal for more efficient operations
- Relies on batteries for power
- Water reservoir and batteries are not included
Levels, Airtight, Keeps Cigars Fresh and Moist For a Long Time.
Using the latest in electronic cigar humidifier technology, this item helps keep your cigars moist and ready to smoke for a long time. This item comes at the best price in its class, making it the preferred choice of cigar aficionados for its high quality and price.
The major advantage of the Hydra stick is that it’s an electronic humidifier that uses batteries to keep your stogie’s humidity levels between 69%-72%. The unit’s LED “read-out” keeps you informed of your cigar’s humidity levels. The humidifier features an airtight seal that allows for more efficient functioning.
9. Le Veil Dch-12v2 Digital Cigar Humidifier W/extra Tank
- Works with 50-150 cigars
- Easy to use
- Set and forget
- Unbeatable warranty
- Leaks from humidity sensor
- Difficult to service
This is a premium cigar humidifier that can hold roughly 150 cigars. This model has been upgraded so that it no longer uses a wick to heat the water, so it takes a lot less time to get up to temperature. There is a clear plastic gauge that tells you the humidity level inside of the container. The kit that you receive also comes with a spare tank to ensure that you have an extra one on hand for when it needs to be changed.
The digital display on the humidifier makes it easy to see what the humidity is, and also comes with a touch screen. This is the ideal feature for an electronic humidifier because you can set it and forget about it, remembering to set it when you are about to put your cigar in for display or you are ready to enjoy some delicious cigar smoking in your own personal humidor.
It is also very durable, and has a five year warranty from the manufacturer that covers everything except wear and tear, which often happens in a humidor.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the best humidity level for a cigar humidor?
A humidor’s humidity level has a huge impact on the quality of your cigars. For optimum quality, the humidity level should be 70-75%. Anything higher or lower than this range will negatively affect your cigars.
A cigar’s flavor and texture changes as they age. If they are kept in a humidor at the right humidity level then they will develop evenly. At higher or lower humidity levels this will not be the case.
If cigars are kept at 50% or lower humidity, their wrapper will start to crack and they will taste harsher. This is called “dry boxing.”
If cigars are kept at 80% or higher humidity, their delicate wrapper will start to darken and can even become unattractive. This is called “sweating.”
What is the best humidifier for humidor?
A humidifier for your humidor can completely change how your cigars are stored. Once you have the right humidor, you can control the humidity to keep your cigars in the perfect conditions needed for humidor storage. The perfect humidity for your humidor will depend on where you live, the type of cigars you store, and how much humidity they usually need.
To find the humidifier for your humidor, you first need to know the guidelines of where your cigars need to be at. Typical cigar guidelines are measured in grams of moisture in your cigars. Most cigars are shipped to cigar stores with about 20% moisture. If you kept your cigars at this moisture, it would take three years or less to lose about 50% of the flavor in your cigars. Keeping your humidor humidity between 65%-70% will help retain that flavor and prevent you from losing moisture and causing dry spots.
What is the best setting for a humidor?
If you’re looking to implement the hygrometer, you may also want to consider it for setting purposes. It is true that most people keep their humidors between 65 and 72 percent humidity. These are the optimal conditions for cigar storage. But you may not enjoy the vaping experience of such low humidity.
That’s why you may want to use the hygrometer as a setting device as well as a hygrometer to see the conditions of your humidor. Then you can adjust it up or down in increments to find the setting where your cigars taste right to you.
Do you have to use distilled water to season a humidor?
There are some companies that say you have to use distilled water to season your humidor. However, this is a rule which comes from manufacturers, and it’s not because distilled water is necessarily better at maintaining humidity. The real issue is that we want to avoid using tap water, because it’s almost always going to contain minerals that can stain or discolor your cigars.
If you want to use the distilled water for the initial seasoning, you can, but after a period of time, you might want to switch to bottled drinking water, which certainly won’t hurt the humidor.
|Boveda for Cigars/Tobacco||Best Overall|
|Cigar Humidifier||Budget Pick|
|Cigar Oasis Plus 3.0 Electronic Humidifier||Upgrade Pick|